Converting e7 400 back to mechanical

Hey everyone, new to this page, I have a 1991 e7 that has been giving me computer troubles all summer, finally found a mechanical pump and injector lines to switch it to mechanical, just wondering if anyone here has advice or tips and tricks on how to convert everything, thanks.

the length of the injection pump as well as an Ambach if thats what you are going to use, because yours has a Robert Bosch inj. pump, matters for the fuel lines. does you fly wheel have the valve timing marks on it? if not, are they on the balancer, and do you have the 2 pointers on the front cover?  if not, there is 2 round bumps on the front that would be drilled and tapped to mount the dual pointer.  No biggie.  I only did one of these conversions. I found a pump timing setting from my book, using the H.P. turbo type, and some luck.. My posting is not very professional, but when I finished the job, the truck fired up perfectly (after it was primed and ran-in for a minute) . it also had good power for the application.   MR garbage truck with an Allison..  I dont know about the cam and any issues there, but I dont see why there would be one.. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, JoeH said:

I believe Ambach is American Bosch, instead of Robert Bosch. 2 different brand injection pumps were used on Mack engines.

Don't think Ambc was around at this point Joey! Linkage and throtle pedal will have you working a bit but Im sure youll get it converted!

• Like 1

Okay that makes sense, yeah mine is a Robert Bosch pump, linkages are coming together somewhat, little more fab work and I'll be good. Has anyone ran a long bolt through the aneroid just to keep it pressed in all the time? Didn't really want to run a boost line over there and was wondering if a guy could get away with that?

2 hours ago, SelfloaderMack said:

Okay that makes sense, yeah mine is a Robert Bosch pump, linkages are coming together somewhat, little more fab work and I'll be good. Has anyone ran a long bolt through the aneroid just to keep it pressed in all the time? Didn't really want to run a boost line over there and was wondering if a guy could get away with that?

Just pull the little cap a run the Allen screw all the way in! You could try finding a longer one I guess!you can also pull the plug on the top and back the star wheel off to take the spring pressure off the diaphragm!

• Like 1
  • Like 1

That's what I was hoping for! My new issue is that I'm able to get the truck started but it immediately starts to run away on me, does anyone know for sure which side of the pump is inlet and which is return?

3 hours ago, SelfloaderMack said:

It could be? Would I have to take the back of the pump off to see if that was the case?

No ! Remove the cap on the front of the pump you will see an L sshaped rod if you can delicatly move that in and out the rack is free if not you should pull the pump and have a pump shop look at it! Don’t loose the sleave that the rack slides in it’s just sitting there it’s a guide for the rack! Be sure the stop is in the run position when you do this!

Sounds like you had the right idea before I came along!😀 That’s a good thing! Have the guy disarm the smoke delay too that will be two things off the list! Some of these dudes are fussy about screwing with emissions so you may be doing that yourself!don’t be surprised!😡

• 2 weeks later...

I’m in the process of making a E7-400 vmac a mechanical engine myself. I have a robert Bosch pump from my e6 that I plan on using. Did you keep the econovance in place and somehow lock or pin it in place? Or did you remove it altogether?  I would like to remove mine and bolt the pump up directly. Do you happen to have a part number for the injector lines needed? 
thank you, josh

The econovance is held in retard by a spring! If you don’t have oil pressure to the econovance it will not advance!  Just sayin! Cap off the oil feed and Simply set the timing at 19 or twenty and you’ll be useable whatever you find works good and leave things be! If you cap the line off it becomes redundant!

Ok i found the spring so thats a question i had so thank you for that. Is there a way to completely remove it and bolt my mechanical pump up directly? The bolt holes look to be there correct. It looks like just a matter of coupling to the gear? The coupling looks like my e6

josh

Edited by Macktruckman

3 hours ago, Macktruckman said:

Ok i found the spring so thats a question i had so thank you for that. Is there a way to completely remove it and bolt my mechanical pump up directly? The bolt holes look to be there correct. It looks like just a matter of coupling to the gear? The coupling looks like my e6

josh

I believe u need a different drive assembly! Just bolt the pump on either the vmac coupler don’t know if the e6 stuff will fit standard vs metric I believe!

I bought a mechanical pump from a 1990 e7 400 with the injector lines and half of the throttle linkages, the throttle linkages was the hard part with alot of trial and error, the pump bolted in directly where the old econovance  sat, just had to make a new bracket to hold the pump and another one to block off the oil return from the econovance, also had to make a new oil feed line but nothing major to this project, so far I've only test drove it and I'm very satisfied with the results, tomorrow is the first day to be put back to work, if you have any more questions hopefully I can answer them!

• Like 1
  • Like 1

Awesome thank you and please let us know how it pulls and works. Mine is hopefully even more simple because I am putting the e7 engine in a truck im taking an E6 out of and reusing the e6 mechanical pump so I already have the throttle linkage all in place. I test fit the E7 injector lines and they thread right on the delivery valves on the Robert Bosch E6 pump. What i haven’t figured out is how exactly to remove the econovance? Do i remove the 3 timing adjustment bolts from the front of the timing gear?  I also wondered about leaving the econovance, as fjh said and just plug the oil supply. But would i be smarter to use a boost switch or something and try to make the econovance actually function?  Anyway I hope someone can help with that too. Awesome to hear your truck works and im anxious to hear how it pulls and runs 

josh

Edited by Macktruckman