car i had 45 years ago

mowerman

36 yrs ago.  Still have the blue truck.  I was just a young pup!

Blue is 69, black truck a 70.  Black truck was daily driver for 12 yrs.  Rusty ol hulk I kept fixing up.  Blue truck was nice southern piece and I was in heaven driving it compared to black truck.

IMG_20150828_210201_684.jpg

• Like 2

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

You know a few years ago before we all had smart phones. It wasn’t so easy to just pull a camera out of your pocket. I’ve got a lot of pictures of a lot of stuff, but those are a lot of vehicles I’ve had. I don’t have any pictures and all the ones I do have scattered around this house buried. 

I bought two cars during 1979, a 1964 Chrysler New Yorker, with a 413 and a push button automatic and a 1972 Chevy Kingswood Estate wagon, fake wood sides and all.  My wife named the New Yorker "Oscar" and I paid $200 for it in Phenix City, AL (When I was stationed at Fort Benning, GA) and I drove it to Fort hood, TX when I got transferred there a couple months later.  That fall, I bought the wagon, after the 413 started started using more oil than gas.  I gave $675 for the Chevy and drove it for about 6 or 7 months when the transmission started slipping and I sold it for $350.  I have no pics of either one, 'cause I never had a camera until Christmas, 1980.

• Like 1
  • Like 1

On 10/11/2024 at 6:30 PM, tjc transport said:

no old pictures of the 79 F350 4X4... no new ones either...

but i bought it 6 months old, and still have it. 

bought my '77 F-350 (little Mack  ) flat bed dump brand new. there is a picture on my profile moving a box truck body my Father used for cow barn; had it up on 55 gal barrels. some where I have the truck carrying the engine combo for ole #1 Mack.

• Like 1

I was driving a '68 Pontiac Tempest in 1979. It came with the OHC 6 cylinder and a three speed on the column. I bought it from a friend who had put a 350 out of a 73 or 74 Ventura in it. I think that's what it was - looked kind of like a Nova. Still had the 3 speed though. Pretty good old car.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

2 hours ago, other dog said:

I was driving a '68 Pontiac Tempest in 1979. It came with the OHC 6 cylinder and a three speed on the column. I bought it from a friend who had put a 350 out of a 73 or 74 Ventura in it. I think that's what it was - looked kind of like a Nova. Still had the 3 speed though. Pretty good old car.

Tom, I think you’re talking about a Ventura I just saw one in a movie with Dolly Parton

Good friend has 74 GTO(nova look alike).  Fellow raced or for years, crashed it pretty good, another friend bought it, was never(couldn't)do anything with it.  Another friend bought it(bodyman) and restored it.  Still races it.  Front plate NO NOVA.

That group of friends are all Pontiac guys.  One has 75(ish) Firebird, stripper deluxe version.  Pale yellow with 6 cylinder, 3 on the floor.  Real nice survivor.  He was never a real racer type so the 6 banger is good for him.  He had a lot of cool 60s Pontiacs back in the 80s after college.  65 Bonneville(8 lug wheels), 389, real nice.  66,67 Catalina's, 78 Bird, 72 tempest(called starkys hutch car due to red-white lazer stripe down side).  He never could keep anything.  Buy, drive, sell.  70 Bonneville wagon with vinyl top!

• Like 2

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

Well, speaking of Pontiacs- that was the only Pontiac I ever owned, but I did go look at a- Bonneville maybe? Big car, '68 or '69 I think, 2 door, white interior, it was either dark green or dark blue, I don't remember now. It had a 400 Pontiac engine, clean as a pin. A doctor in Lynchburg was selling it, had right around a 100,000 miles on it, which I thought was too many at the time. This was around '83 or '84 probably. I still wish I had bought that car, it's definitely the "one that got away". 

He was asking $500 for it. 

• Like 2

I hear ya' O.D.   I try hard to get my wife to understand why I think like I do..  She wont let me buy a few square body chevy trucks..  I know I can buy them cheap here and go through them a little and re-sell them..  On the other hand, I can still sneak in an engine and tranny here and there and put them in totes for a later day.  I just bought a 305 with a 700R4 attached.  runing/ driving unit..  The seller gave me all the take off parts as well, so I now have 2 Quadrajets, and aluminum intakes, and such..  I'm not a big money guy, so these little treasures mean a lot to me..   BTW...  your Int. is beautiful..  You done good sir...   Jojo

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, other dog said:

Well, speaking of Pontiacs- that was the only Pontiac I ever owned, but I did go look at a- Bonneville maybe? Big car, '68 or '69 I think, 2 door, white interior, it was either dark green or dark blue, I don't remember now. It had a 400 Pontiac engine, clean as a pin. A doctor in Lynchburg was selling it, had right around a 100,000 miles on it, which I thought was too many at the time. This was around '83 or '84 probably. I still wish I had bought that car, it's definitely the "one that got away". 

He was asking $500 for it. 

only pontiac i ever owned was a 71 cant remember the model.....didnt have it long,,,,it had rear end damage,,,,i was going to fix it,,,but someone offered to buy it with a tidy little profit,,,so i turned it,,,i think it was a tempest,,,it was a 2 door only had it a few weeks

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Joey Mack said:

I hear ya' O.D.   I try hard to get my wife to understand why I think like I do..  She wont let me buy a few square body chevy trucks..  I know I can buy them cheap here and go through them a little and re-sell them..  On the other hand, I can still sneak in an engine and tranny here and there and put them in totes for a later day.  I just bought a 305 with a 700R4 attached.  runing/ driving unit..  The seller gave me all the take off parts as well, so I now have 2 Quadrajets, and aluminum intakes, and such..  I'm not a big money guy, so these little treasures mean a lot to me..   BTW...  your Int. is beautiful..  You done good sir...   Jojo

thank you, thank you very much.

• Like 1

Two cars i had about 50 years ago, first one was a 1970 nova SS 396 buckets,four speed, and a 1965 chevy impala SS 396, with a bench seat, four speed, first year of the 396.   terry:MackLogo:

Edited by terry
  • Like 1
  • Like 1