R model Steer axle

jervn4

Hello all, im looking to see if anyone can point us in the right direction with some axle identification. Im at a student at a tech school in PA and we are in the process of converting what we believe to be a 1978/9 (motor is a 78 actual year of truck is unknown) R600 Into a service truck. In the process we replaced the camel backs with a single air ride axle out of a Mack Vision as well as removed the factory 5 speed and installed an 18 speed, with the eventual goal that the factory 237 come out and a 355 E7-Etech taking its place.. We are trying to update the front axle to have newer hub piloted or bud hubs, possibly using a whole new axle. We identified the axle in the truck to be a FA534C according to the stamping on the axle, bearings that came out of the hubs are timken 25572 and 39585. at the very least we are shooting to remove the daytons and get a regular hub piloted hub on there. but should that not be possible we also are curious if there is a axle that is interchangable with the one we currently have that would already be hub piloted. From our research we havent come up with very much in regards to this axle and was wondering if anyone had any insite to what we are looking at. any helps greatly appreciated. 

Edited by jervn4

jervn4....  if you will... post the truck you have with the year, vin, engine model,and pictures of this rig..  Mack has a lot of common parts...  I dont think you are trying re-invent the wheel here...  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Joey Mack said:

jervn4....  if you will... post the truck you have with the year, vin, engine model,and pictures of this rig..  Mack has a lot of common parts...  I dont think you are trying re-invent the wheel here...  

If you read through my intial message you would find all the thing you asked for minus pictures and the vin. Pictures arent going to help very much as the truck is currently disassembled in about 30 pieces for paint, and ill post a vin number up on monday when im back in the shop. To repeat what i said originally in more detail, Its a 1978.. Possibly a 1979 we arent 100% on the year, R-600 With the Mack 675ENDT 237HP engine. we absolutely arent reinventing the wheel, more so looking for information on what we have for an axle and if anyone had done a hub swap with this axle before and had knowledge to share.. 

• Like 1

Trouble with swapping a complete axle is a distance between spring U-clamp holes. It's determined by the spacing between the springs on a particular chassis. R-model has its specific size and most if not all R's were fitted with either stud piloted hubs of Daytons. Of what gets on my mind is looking for the later series RD axle which would have same spring spacing but may have hub pilot hubs if produced late enough.

Of other options it could be an axle off a CH or Vision. But in that case you need to weld the existing U-clamp holes and drill new ones. Usually spring fit area on a beam is cast wide to be drilled differently and is at the factory for a particular application. I heard people weld and redrill but I'm not sure of how nice the final result could be and that's some amount of labour too.

One more point is correspondence of the drag link joint. Older axles usually had a cone pin and newer ones could be cylindrical.

Of seamless ways which may be seen on my mind is identifying actual sizes of the bearings fitted in the existing hubs of the truck. Than sitting rifling through spare hub chats looking for a hub piloting hub which uses same bearing fitting. Or more advanced option - figuring all possible bearing combo's you can fit onto your spindles. Than look for a hub piloted hub (any possible to found on the market) which would suit any of the bearings fittable to the spindles.

̷O̷r̷ ̷j̷u̷s̷t̷ ̷n̷o̷t̷ ̷s̷t̷i̷r̷ ̷t̷h̷e̷ ̷p̷o̷t̷ ̷a̷n̷d̷ ̷l̷e̷a̷v̷e̷ ̷t̷h̷e̷ ̷t̷r̷u̷c̷k̷ ̷w̷i̷t̷h̷ ̷i̷t̷s̷ ̷o̷r̷i̷g̷i̷n̷a̷l̷ ̷s̷t̷u̷d̷ ̷p̷i̷l̷o̷t̷e̷d̷ ̷h̷u̷b̷s̷.̷

Vlad

• Like 1

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

Well, just my opinion if you could find hubs that will fit on your spindles that may make it a lot easier otherwise lots of running around wild goose chases,, to drive somewhere to get them over price parts that don’t fit and drive 200 miles to find out there wrong size

Here are 2 vin's from my old fleet.  They are from late 90's E-7 RD-690 'S'  models..  083858 + 083859..  maybe you can compare yours to this,,  only other thing is that these trucks had 385's on Budd wheels..  I know it is NOT exactly what you are looking for but ...   who knows. 

Oh, by the way, I’m not trying to discourage you just giving you heads up lots of variations. It was a little bit easier a few years ago to hit a wrecking yard and get anything you needed. unless you’ve got solid part numbers and a reputable source such as Joey you have to be very careful about interchanging.

I’ll be starting a new topic here I have a B42 and I’m swapping out the front axle to one with hub pilot hubs I’ll try and post what I did and what I’m running into I’ll post it it in drive line and suspension 

• Like 1

If your going to be a bear be a grizzly

I look at it is how much money do you want to spend my axle has bad tie rod ends and I can’t find new ones so I sourced a whole different axle out of a school bus the center pin holes were close and I’ll have to get new u bolts to fit properly in the holes. Width of the outsides of the tires was a concern for me as a b model is kinda narrow . Going newer gets you more modern parts that are usually cheaper and easily sourced 

If your going to be a bear be a grizzly