What Engine Is This?

Go to solution Solved by The Heinz,

Didn't know where to put this one. Here or in the for sale section. This 1973 400 series DM is coming up for auction in a few weeks. There is actually a pair of them this 73 and a 74 but they are specd the same. They are DM487Sxxxx. I don't think I have ever seen this engine before. I think this was well before the times you could get a Scania so what is this? Also these trucks have a strange Eaton 13 speed I have never seen before. They actually have 15 different gears but 13 progressive. RT6613...

1973 MACK DM400 | Online Auctions | AuctionTime.com

1974 MACK DM400 | Online Auctions | AuctionTime.com

img.webp

img (1).webp

img (2).webp

img (3).webp

img (4).webp

I’m thinking it’s probably that shifter with the chrome round dome with a three speed switch and yes, it does look like a Scandia. I didn’t think they were using them in those years either, but I have seen them and R models.

The 6613 I had attached to a 555 Cummins, not in a truck so no stickers, had a splitter box on the back like a 9513.. Was told when I bought it, it was and underdrive splitter??? Came out of an asphalt oil distributor / sprayer truck..

• Like 1

Brocky

That is interesting. Honestly, that engine doesn't really look like the other Scania engines I have seen in Macks before, which have been very limited. The ones I have seen in early 80s R models If I remember correctly had 3 separate heads. This version seems to have a single head. Also, I thought the Scanias were a late 70s, 80s thing. Didn't realize they existed back in '73. Interesting. Those two DMs would be neat to have just because of the uniqueness of them. The frames and chassis are in near perfect condition and they will probably sell for next to nothing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 67RModel said:

That is interesting. Honestly, that engine doesn't really look like the other Scania engines I have seen in Macks before, which have been very limited. The ones I have seen in early 80s R models If I remember correctly had 3 separate heads. This version seems to have a single head. Also, I thought the Scanias were a late 70s, 80s thing. Didn't realize they existed back in '73. Interesting. Those two DMs would be neat to have just because of the uniqueness of them. The frames and chassis are in near perfect condition and they will probably sell for next to nothing.

I once owned a 70 DM with the scania with a automatic trans. Was a ex mixer truck.  Terry:MackLogo:  it was also a DM 400, 487 model

Edited by terry