Wheel Base ? ? ?

nhtrucka

I've always measured from the centerline of the front hubs, to the centerline of the rear trunion mount. That is the center of the distance between the two rear axles.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

I believe it is as Rob said, from the center of the front hub to the center of the trunnion shaft. Thats how they figure it at the truck dealer if you spec a certain wheelbase. On a single axle it would of course be from the center of the front hub to the center of the rear axle.

• Like 1

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"

Got that right!! LOL!!

I've always heard the center of rears. Guess if you're asking someone, you need to clarify or you might end up with something completely different than you think.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

Now we can put this issue to rest once and for all. The official definition of whhelbase on a tandem axle truck is from the center of the front hub to a point midway between the 2 drive axles . This is according to the National Truck Equipment Association. Here is the link for this info http://www.ntea.com/tr/glossary_detail.asp?term_id=266 The real universal & proper way to measure wheelbase. Period!

Every truck I have stretched out I always measure front hub to rear hub. I stretched my first truck when I was 15 years old(a 1971 White Freightliner cabover) and I have always done that.

I have never met anyone who stretches frames and uses that formula. In that case, 2 identical trucks with tandems, one a normal tandem and one a Canadian spread would be the same wheelbase.

Now we can put this issue to rest once and for all. The official definition of whhelbase on a tandem axle truck is from the center of the front hub to a point midway between the 2 drive axles . This is according to the National Truck Equipment Association. Here is the link for this info http://www.ntea.com/tr/glossary_detail.asp?term_id=266 The real universal & proper way to measure wheelbase. Period!

Once again I second your answer,HK.I have had to argue this with others from time to time.All it usually takes is a tape measure and a copy of the factory spec sheet to prove this is the correct way of measuring whelbase.

• Like 1

Once again I second your answer,HK.I have had to argue this with others from time to time.All it usually takes is a tape measure and a copy of the factory spec sheet to prove this is the correct way of measuring whelbase.

HK is right. For a tandem you measure to the CENTER of the rear axles. With a single axle you measure to the middle of the rear axle of course. With a tri-drive you measure to the center rear axle hub. Any other way is WRONG. The extreme measurement used in bridge formula is called Gross wheelbase, which is front most axle hub to rear most axle hub.

If any of you doubting Thomas’s want more proof here is a picture strait out of a Mack CH brochure:

• Thanks 1

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

Well, I guess I stand corrected.

I guess that is the difference between somebody that does it only on paper and somebody that actually does the real thing. I have stretched enough trucks in the last 20 years so I guess I will continue to do it the WRONG way.

Do it whatever way you want, who cares! I'll believe the truth , & I'll keep doing it the way its supposed to be done, & not on paper either!!!!!!!!!!! The question was asked, I knew the answer, then I did some research to support the answer, but evidently it was a waste of my valuable time.

OK everyone calm down. Man for some reason this topic really got some people worked up. Every truck manufacturer in the world measures wheelbase the way HK and I described. If you sell your truck by measuring the wheelbase the wrong way it will appear longer to others looking to buy. We were just trying to inform everyone.

Well, I guess I stand corrected.

I guess that is the difference between somebody that does it only on paper and somebody that actually does the real thing. I have stretched enough trucks in the last 20 years so I guess I will continue to do it the WRONG way.

What goes on paper is what rolls out the Mack plant.

• Thanks 1

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

• 13 years later...
  • 1 month later...

Nice to see an old thread pulled up.

To add oil in the flames I can tell that in Russia and in former Soviet Union tandem truck's wheelbase was and currently is measured between the center of hubs of the front axle and the centre of the FRONT REAR axle.

Not 100% sure right at the moment but i believe the most European countries do it the same way.

As for Russia those measurements are predicted by State Standard system so no way for another use.

I should admit that in old books of 50's years tandem truck's wheelbase was indicated to the CENTRE of distance between the rear axles, exactly the way you American guys do. But seems like that point was changed in Soviet standards at some point.

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012